This guide deals with ACT legislation, covering the following topics:
- Structure of law: its form and contents, typical structure and how to refer to different elements of a law
- What is (and isn’t) part of a law: what are the different components of legislation, whether they are part of the law or not and why this is important
- Common provisions: provisions that are common to legislation, including offences, regulation‑making powers and transitional provisions
- Interpretation: principles, definitions, and other aids to interpretation
- Legislative framework: other legislation that is important to know about when reading legislation
- Checklist: to assist you to step through the exercise of reading and understanding legislation.
Back to About ACT legislation